Locke township, which was not organized until the forties, but which in the character of its citizens have long since made up for its tardy beginning, has experienced considerable diversity in the movement of its population toward community centers. The records mention a union church, built on section 22, which served as a focus for the people of the surrounding region. Another center was the first store, which was established by John Wolf where the village of Locke is now situated.
As to the first post office the records are not clear. In December, 1847, the Goshen Democrat has states the establishment of a new office in Locke township, called, "Locke," and Daniel McCoy postmaster. The Post office was known as "Five Points" and under different postmasters had different locations. Previous to its removal to the village of Locke the office was occupied by Solomon Berlin, who was the incumbent from 1861 to 1869 The Berlin homestead is situated half a mile east and north of the present village of Locke.
The village of Locke tells another story of vanished prestige and "survival of the fittest." Laid out about 1867 in section 24 by George W. Eby, M.H. Morlan and L.B. Winder, its history for several years was that among the leading towns of the country. At one time its business interests were substantially these: Three dry-goods stores, one drug store, one grocery store, one hardware store, one tin shop, one furniture store, two boot and shoe shops, two sawmills, one shingle mill, one wagon shop, one steam grist and flouring mill, three blacksmiths shops, a hotel, a public school, a church, three physicians, and about forty dwellings. Located on high and rolling land, it no doubt seemed the acme of eligibility as a site for a large center.